Need a few words of advice? Looking for an inspirational pick-me-up to remind yourself why you get up every day? We’ve hunted down 12 Life Quotes to Live By that will help. Give them a look and get back to living!
1. “I think I’ve discovered the secret of life – you just hang around until you get used to it.” – Charles Schulz
If you ever switched majors a few times or found yourself to be a late bloomer, then you can relate to what the creator of Charlie Brown is saying. The longer you’re here, the more you get the hang of it.
2. “However mean your life is, meet it and live it: do not shun it and call it hard names. Cultivate poverty like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Things do not change, we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts.” – Henry David Thoreau
Henry David Thoreau, author of Walden, offers one of the most profound life quotes to live by when he advises you to let life be what it’s going to be and roll with the punches. Don’t try to hammer your life into a hole it doesn’t fit.
3. “The purpose of life is a life of purpose.” – Robert Byrne
Expert pool and billiard writer Byrne makes a great point here. As long as you have goals, you have the possibility of fulfillment. That gives life purpose.
4. “Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.” – Martin H. Fische
Fische, a physician, adds this short but sweet quote to our life quotes to live by, and we agree. Life isn’t meant to be spent in front of a TV screen. It’s a show you’re the star of.
5. “Life is a sum of all your choices.” – Albert Camus
French author Camus (The Stranger) raises a very good point here. Life isn’t about the little milestones you set for yourself, but for the good (or the harm) you’ve done with your decisions. Choose wisely.
6. “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” – Albert Einstein
With this selection on our life quotes to live by, Einstein’s making a case for believing in something or nothing and committing. Those on the fence should choose a side. You’ll be happier that way.
7. “Life is an exciting business, and most exciting when it is lived for others.” – Helen Keller
Ms. Keller’s message represents the essence of what it means to be a good person. Living for others. Try it if you haven’t yet. It reminds you how great life can be.
8. “We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come.” – Joseph Campbell
Campbell (The Power of Myth) reminds us through this entry on our life quotes to live by that getting the most out of life means not living to a rigid plan but being adaptive to the changes.
9. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Neale Donald Walsch (Conversations with God)
Or, to really experience something beyond numbness and boredom, you really must challenge yourself to do more than you would otherwise.
10. “Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” – Robert Breault
Breault, a tenor, may not be who you think of for emitting life quotes to live by, but this is a good reminder of life and its shifting priorities.
11. “I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you … we are in charge of our Attitudes.” – Charles R. Swindoll (Author, Clergyman)
No use squabbling over the percentages in this entry on the life quotes to live by. Swindoll is probably 90% right anyway.